Timber and Metals

Key Stage 4

What will students learn?

This qualification focuses on the design process and understanding how to develop products to successful outcomes. It develops students’ drawing and design skills, furthers their knowledge of technical products and will be biased towards natural and manufactured timbers. Approximately 70% of the course will be delivery of theory. The remaining 30% will involve students taking part in practical activities that will enhance their understanding of the course content.


How will students be taught?

The subject content is presented under two headings: technical principles & designing and making principles. Within each area, the content is further divided into core knowledge & understanding and in-depth knowledge & understanding. In this case we cover the core knowledge content and then specialise in the area of natural and manufactured timber.

Students will be taught through a series of projects which include elements of practical skills, theoretical knowledge and design skills for working with timber. Homework tasks, videos, practical demonstrations and computer aided design software will be used as key learning tools.


How will students be assessed?

Component 1: Design and Technology in the 21st Century - written examination, 2 hours

A mix of short answers, structured and extended writing questions assessing candidates’ knowledge and understanding of technical principles, designing and making principles and their ability to analyse and evaluate design decisions.

Component 2: Design and Make - task of 35 Hours

A sustained design and make task, based on a contextual challenge set by the exam board, assessing candidates’ ability to identify, investigate and outline design possibilities. It requires students to design and make prototypes, analyse and evaluate design decisions.


What can studying this subject lead to?

A GCSE in Design & Technology is required for entry into A level Graphic Design and A level Product Design at grade 6. Many students that have studied a similar route have gone on to careers in aerospace, marine & power engineering, architecture, construction & product designing. Many important life skills such as time management, planning and organisational skills are key to the designing and making process.

As well as a GCSE qualification, students will also leave the course with a portfolio of design evidence and a practical piece of work that can be shown to future employers and educational institutes to help demonstrate their designing, practical skills and potential for the future.


Examination board & course type

EDUQAS – GCSE Design & Technology (C600QS)


Revision advice

A subject specific guide featuring key content, recommended resources and the specifications we cover in that particular subject can be downloaded below:


Teacher to contact for further information

Mr J Jenner

Timber and Metals Curriculum Overview