Information for Staff
The primary role of the Careers team at Northgate is to support pupils to plan their careers, make informed choices and develop their opportunities in further and higher education and develop their employability skills and opportunities with apprenticeships. We work with pupils throughout their time at the school and ask that you encourage pupils to seek help from us when they need support.
Form Tutors will often be the first port of call for pupils with questions about work experience, references, post-16 and post-18 options and employment. We are pleased to work with you to support members of your tutor group.
Teaching and support staff must aim to link curriculum learning to careers and provide an appropriate combination of Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) activities which are appropriate to their pupils’ needs. There should be a clear focus on development of enterprise and employability skills as well as experience and qualifications, including opportunities for developing entrepreneurial skills for self-employment.
How we can help
- We are able to provide group sessions or one-to-one support with CV writing, speculative letter writing, job application forms and interview techniques.
- We can support pupils in Year 10, 12 and 13 develop their employability skills and find suitable work experience placements.
- We have relationships with employers and alumni who would be happy to work with you to contribute to the delivery of learning in the classroom.
- We provide individual pupil careers interviews and would encourage you to refer members of your form group who are in need of careers support.
- We aim to see all pupils in Year 11 and again in the Sixth Form for an individual careers appointment carried out by a qualified Careers Adviser or the school’s Transition Coach. Referrals are welcome when you encounter pupils you have concerns about.
- The Careers message gets across best with regular activities throughout the year tailored to specific cohorts of pupils.
- If you have a specific request or require further information, please contact a member of the Careers team at Northgate.
How you can help
- If there is some information you would like or something you would like us to do for your pupils, please do speak to us.
- Encourage pupils to start thinking early on about their options and routes into possible jobs and careers. Some pupils may need to make early applications in Year 13 for medicine or Oxbridge courses, so preparation before this point is very helpful to them.
- Encourage pupils to be aware of how they can develop their employability skills during their time at school. Work Experience in Year 10 and the Sixth Form is very important here, as is attending the enterprise events, employer talks, careers fair and mock interview projects that we run.
- Encourage pupils to make use of the resources in the Careers Suite and make use of the information, advice and guidance available from the Careers team while they are at school. It is important that pupils think about their options long before they leave school.
We are always pleased to hear your feedback on the careers activities that you have taken part in, or those that a member of your tutor group has provided feedback on, and to also receive any general feedback on our Careers programme at Northgate. Please forward your feedback to Northgate’s Careers Leader, Victoria Calder.