Textile and Fashion Design
Key Stage 4
What is GCSE Textile and Fashion Design about?
Exciting and highly creative, this design course will be focused on the following elements:
- Fashion design and illustration
- Costume design
- Constructed textiles
- Printed and dyed textiles
- Surface pattern
- Stitched and/or embellished textiles
- Digital textiles
Students can experiment in their sketchbooks with various textile-based media and develop ideas for a final garment based on their own inspiration and that of other artists and designers. This course will develop the student’s creative research, designing and manufacture skills. Students can use digital technology to print onto their own fabrics and develop these fabrics into a fashion garment, costume or interior product.
What will students learn?
- How to collect inspirational images relevant to the project title and produce drawings and sketches from these. How to critically analyse investigation work. This will all be documented in an A3 sketchbook.
- Students will learn about different art and textile-based media relevant to the project they are studying. Students will learn how to manipulate these exciting decorative techniques and get time to do personal experimentation.
- Students will learn about new vibrant artists and designers, their work and their inspiration. They will be able to develop their own work in the style of one or more of their chosen artists. Students will learn how to critically explain how they have been influenced in their own work.
- Students will learn how to develop their ideas into either a fashion, costume or interior final piece using traditional and contemporary methods of manufacture.
How will students be taught?
The course specification will be taught through a wide range of focused practical tasks. The majority of work will be completed during lesson time and through set homework tasks. Assessment and the relevant feedback will be given on a regular basis.
How will students be assessed?
Component 1: Portfolio
Component 2: Externally set assignment
Examination board & course type
AQA – GCSE Art & Design: Textile Design
What can studying this subject lead to?
Northgate High School offers A level Art & Design, A level Textile Design and Fashion. Many students will progress through to higher education in studying design, fashion, architecture, interior design and much more.
Teacher to contact for further information
Mrs A Fisk